For more tips on improving your strum and other beginner tips, check out the full Ukulele 101 course.
In this lesson you are going to learn how to strum your ukulele
1. Take your pointer finger and point to yourself.
2. Be sure to relax the pointer finger and don’t let it lock up.
3. Point to the ground and then point to yourself. This is the motion for the basic strum.
4. Bring this motion over the strings until it starts to make noise. You want to graze over the strings.
5. Try to get faster and work towards a cleaner sound.
Here’s an exercise you can do to practice your strumming.
1. Count to 4: 1, 2, 3, 4 and add down strums to each number
2. Add up strums in between each number.